single mum of 3 beautiful children....... I have new hopes, aspirations and dreams, 1st to get debt free, pay off my mortgage, get healthy, buy a new car (accomplished), do some much needed home improvements- phewwww - deep breath.. and spend more time with my children. In July 2011 I took redundancy due to restructuring at work, and from 31st August 2011 I was no longer a teacher.

I have used this opportunity to set up my own home based childcare business which will mean a very big pay cut, but at the same time will give me the opportunity to raise my own children, and home educate my youngest. So I am going to have to realise my dreams with a little inginuity and and a new frugal lifestyle, so this is my journey......

Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, 15 March 2012

Job centre single parent interview......

well I had my 6 month single parent interview at the Job centre today. Many of you may know that when i took redundancy, part of the terms was that I could not work for another Acadmey school, attached to my own for 2 years, and also I could not work at another school for 4 months from my redundancy taking effect, which was September.

There were many reasons I took redundancy, the little redundacy pay woudl allow me to make a change in my life, not only for my children, but also for my emotional health, another was i wanted change, and my colleagues did not, by myself and another taking redundancy their jobs were safe. And the main reason being,  with 3 munchkins and no support from family I was finding it increasingly difficult to care for the Munchkins, and something had to give.

I dont knock anyone who decides to work when single, I have worked full time and part time, but with no grandparents, or aunts or uncles to leave the munchkins with it was getting more and more difficult to fullfill my teaching role, with ever increasing demands of the job, holidays, weekends, evenings, planning , marking, extra curricular activites,  most people think teachers clock on at 9am and clock off at 3. In fact I hear so many parents complaining at the school gate about teachers and how they have got it easy with their holidays - sometimes I just want to slap them.

And I dont care who you are, a high powered business woman or a woman working the till at Tesco, as a mother, and more so a single mother, in fact single parent, when working something does have to give, you cannot have it all, its a myth that you can. Either it is your children having to spend increasing hours away from you,and I feel as children get older they need you more to keep them on the straight and narrow. Sometimes it's your realtionship to some extent, or your sanity as the guilt of trying to do everything gets too much.

Sometimes I think Feminism, or some radical feminists have a lot to answer for. We wanted equality, but more importantly the right to choose, not to be everything, recent studies show that even if a woman works a full time Job and so does her partner, she still does the majoirity of childcare and housework. The amount of time I hear friends who have partners say to me, " I will have to ask him to babysit" meaning their partner - errrmm no, they are his kids to, he is not baby sitting, and you should not have to feel bad in asking.   I think someone though right they want it all lets give it to em and see how they bloody like  that ha ha - anyway I have totally gone off on a tangent ( nothing new there then)

So I decided to use the time to retrain to childmind,  which I have done, and in the meant time I was able to claim income support, as my redundancy pay was not vast, and also with being a single parent you can claim income support without pressure to find work until your child is 7  (5 years from April) . My intention has never been to stay on benefits long term, and hopefully I will be off benefits real soon. They have been a help when I have needed it, and once I start work again I will pay back into the system so that someone else when they are in need will be able to use it too. Yes I know there are those who abuse the system, but the majority dont.

My interview lasted all of 3 minutes. Everything I have been doing the past 6 months left my interviewer with nothing left to ask me, or guidance to give, so hopefully that will be the first and last time I will have to attend the Job centre for one of these interviews......................

1 comment:

I am sorry but due to the amount of spam messages I no longer accept Anonymous comments. I do appreciate you stopping by, reading my ramblings and saying hello. Sharon x